Registering Your Boat

Registering Your CNC Marine

CNC Marine we are here to help

Australian Builders Plate (ABP)

In Australia you are required to fit an Australian Builders Plate. A blank builder’s plate complete with the associated calculations required is supplied with each CNC Marine kit. For registration in some States as an owner builder you are not required to affix the builders plate to the vessel, however if you ever want to sell the boat it will be required to have an Australia builders plate affixed. We therefore recommend you fit the ABP to each of our boats you build.

Currently there are no regulations around weld qualification nor is it necessary to get your boat professionally surveyed as a recreational vessel.

There are a number of requirements as part of the Australian Builders Plate (ABP); person capacity, engine capacity, build quality. As the builder you are self-assessing and filling in the Builders Plate to show that it meets these requirements. We provide you with the calculations to the standards, but you need to be satisfied as the builder and self-assessor that all welding is to a sufficient quality to maintain safety. If you are unsure, we recommend engaging a qualified surveyor to review your build.

Hull Identification Number (HIN)

A HIN or Boatcode is a unique number that is like a fingerprint for your boat, much like a VIN on a motor vehicle. Some states require this for registration, and others just suggest it. The main use is to provide a unique identifier to your boat in the unfortunate circumstances of your vessel being stolen.

CNC Marine supplies you with two blank HIN plates for you to fill out, one should be placed in a secret place, and the other in an obvious place.

Check your local state if you need it.


As an owner-built boat, some insurers may want the vessel to be surveyed, this depends on the insurer and the boat being insured. Often smaller CNC Marine vessels won’t require this. Check in regard to your boat and your desired insurer early, as you may want to engage a surveyor before you start so they can see the boat in its early build stages.


State By State

This information is a guide only and may be subject to change or misinterpretation. You should complete your own research into your requirements. Most states have detailed information on their respective government transport websites.

In Queensland you are required to go to your local department of transport and fill out a registration application. Also available online here.

In QLD you are required to have ABP, but a HIN is optional. Queensland transport will provide you with a SIN (Serial identification Number) if you don’t have a HIN.

In NSW you will need to book an appointment with Roads and Maritime service and will need to fill out an application for vessel registration, available here.

Finding a Boatcode/HIN agent in NSW is easy look here.

In NSW you are required to have ABP and HIN plates attached.

In Victoria you will need to register your vessel through VicRoads. A HIN is not required for vessels to be registered in Victoria, though it is always advised.

Check out registration details here.

In South Australia a HIN is required, you can go to your local Service SA customer service center and they will supply you with a temporary code to register the boat in your name. Once the vessel is registered in your name you are able to take it to a boat code agent to get a proper HIN number affixed.

A list of boat code agents  here.

In Western Australia you are required to fit HIN plates, a list of providers can be found here. You will need to register your vessel through the department of transport.

In Northern territory you do not need to register your boat. Although you are required to follow all safety regulations as per other states.



Plumbing In Your Kill Tank

Plumbing In Your Kill Tank

CNC Marine we are here to help

There are a number of options for how you could plumb in your kill tank.

Opt. A  – The Simplest

On all boats with kill tanks we supply a tube that runs from the bottom most point at the aft side of the tank all the way back to the transom. Generally this will have holes pre-cut out of each frame so that this pipe can easily be threaded through.

Because the Kill tank, and the pipe are below water level, when you stop the boat, the kill tank will be flooded. When you are on way the kill tank will drain, this means that the kill tank is constantly being flushed out. If you wish to hold the water in, you need to install a plug on the inside end of the kill tank main drain pipe.


Opt. B  – With a Deck Wash System

If you’re considering installing a simple deck wash system than this may be the way to go for you. To save you the hassle of completely plumbing in a pump to your kill tank you can make sure your deck wash hose reaches your kill tank.

This coupled with a plug in your main drain allows you to fill this using the deck wash system pump.

You could also optionally install an overflow tube, but this is not really required, as you are unlikely to overfill.


Opt. C  – Completely Plumbed In

On most CNC Marine boats with kill tanks we supply pipes and details to completely plumb in your kill tank. You would plumb in your deck wash system, and then provide an extra t-intersection to also connect your kill tank in a top corner somewhere (in most models we have decided this for you and holes are pre-cut).

This option allows you to fill the kill tank to the top, and doesn’t require you to be still to fill the tank.

An overflow tube is required for this option as the pump will keep pumping water into the kill tank.


Getting a Boat Builder to Help

Getting a Boat Builder to Help

CNC Marine we are here to help

You can have the kit delivered to the boat builder of your choice.

You pay them to assemble it and then finish it off yourself. Just follow these easy steps.

  • Buy the plans and have your material supplier deliver the kit to your builder.
  • Order a trailer and deliver it to your builder.
  • Book a painter and take the boat to them once the fabrication is finished. (Some builders offer a painting service). Once at the painters order your engine as they can have a long lead time. Make sure the quote includes steering, batteries, instruments and navigation lights.
  • Organise to get the windscreen fitted and book your trimmer.


  • Get the motor fitted and tested (windscreen should be on before water testing)
  • Take the boat to the trimmers for carpets, seats, and clears.
  • Finally fit your locker hatches and fittings. You can do this yourself or take it back to your builder who can do it for you. That’s it – you’re ready to enjoy your new boat.

The builder will give a warranty for his work, as will the painter and trimmer. The engine supplier will give an engine manufacturers warranty.

So not only do you Save Money by Organising it Yourself,

you Still Get a Comprehensive Warranty.