Registering Your CNC Marine

CNC Marine we are here to help

Australian Builders Plate (ABP)

In Australia you are required to fit an Australian Builders Plate. A blank builder’s plate complete with the associated calculations required is supplied with each CNC Marine kit. For registration in some States as an owner builder you are not required to affix the builders plate to the vessel, however if you ever want to sell the boat it will be required to have an Australia builders plate affixed. We therefore recommend you fit the ABP to each of our boats you build.

Currently there are no regulations around weld qualification nor is it necessary to get your boat professionally surveyed as a recreational vessel.

There are a number of requirements as part of the Australian Builders Plate (ABP); person capacity, engine capacity, build quality. As the builder you are self-assessing and filling in the Builders Plate to show that it meets these requirements. We provide you with the calculations to the standards, but you need to be satisfied as the builder and self-assessor that all welding is to a sufficient quality to maintain safety. If you are unsure, we recommend engaging a qualified surveyor to review your build.

Hull Identification Number (HIN)

A HIN or Boatcode is a unique number that is like a fingerprint for your boat, much like a VIN on a motor vehicle. Some states require this for registration, and others just suggest it. The main use is to provide a unique identifier to your boat in the unfortunate circumstances of your vessel being stolen.

CNC Marine supplies you with two blank HIN plates for you to fill out, one should be placed in a secret place, and the other in an obvious place.

Check your local state if you need it.


As an owner-built boat, some insurers may want the vessel to be surveyed, this depends on the insurer and the boat being insured. Often smaller CNC Marine vessels won’t require this. Check in regard to your boat and your desired insurer early, as you may want to engage a surveyor before you start so they can see the boat in its early build stages.


State By State

This information is a guide only and may be subject to change or misinterpretation. You should complete your own research into your requirements. Most states have detailed information on their respective government transport websites.

In Queensland you are required to go to your local department of transport and fill out a registration application. Also available online here.

In QLD you are required to have ABP, but a HIN is optional. Queensland transport will provide you with a SIN (Serial identification Number) if you don’t have a HIN.

In NSW you will need to book an appointment with Roads and Maritime service and will need to fill out an application for vessel registration, available here.

Finding a Boatcode/HIN agent in NSW is easy look here.

In NSW you are required to have ABP and HIN plates attached.

In Victoria you will need to register your vessel through VicRoads. A HIN is not required for vessels to be registered in Victoria, though it is always advised.

Check out registration details here.

In South Australia a HIN is required, you can go to your local Service SA customer service center and they will supply you with a temporary code to register the boat in your name. Once the vessel is registered in your name you are able to take it to a boat code agent to get a proper HIN number affixed.

A list of boat code agents  here.

In Western Australia you are required to fit HIN plates, a list of providers can be found here. You will need to register your vessel through the department of transport.

In Northern territory you do not need to register your boat. Although you are required to follow all safety regulations as per other states.